Our Pottery Ladies have been having fun and working hard to produce all these festive treats this year
They are available to view in our Christmas 2020 Collection. If there is a piece you would like but has sold out already please phone or email us and we may be able to paint another especially for you
Please note that orders usually take 4-6 weeks
We Are Wemyss Ware
The ‘Wemyss Ware’® name has had a long and distinguished history from its beginning in 1882. It was the brainchild of Robert Heron, the Pottery owner, and Karel Nekola, a gifted decorator whom he had brought over from Bohemia. It is probably the most highly collectable and sought-after Scottish pottery, producing beautifully hand painted pottery cats, pigs, other animals, giftware, decorative tableware, tiles and limited editions, all made in Scotland.
At the Griselda Hill Pottery Ltd. we are proud that we are the only creators of Wemyss Ware. We love what we do and do what we love!
'I first became interested in Wemyss Ware® as a child when I visited my grandparents’ house. There, in the hearth, sat a large black and white pig, somewhat the worse for wear but full of character. Twenty years later when I moved to Fife I saw a similar version in Kirkcaldy Museum, and started to put two and two together. I would have loved to own one to remind me of my grandmother, but even in the 1980s a Wemyss® pig cost £2000, way beyond my budget. I came up with the idea of making one and then thought perhaps other people might want a more affordable version of the famous pottery. I approached the curator of Kirkcaldy Museum, who agreed to sell my ‘new Wemyss’ in the museum shop, and that was the start of it all!'
We're Good to Go!
To keep you all and our Pottery Ladies safe now that lockdown is easing, here are the precautions we have taken:
- Installed a screen at our till area
- Introduced a hand sanitising station at the front door which we encourage everyone to use
- We ask only one party to come into the shop at one time to allow for social distancing
- Customers are still free to pick up and look at any pieces on display and we will be wiping them down after each customer
- Our visitor centre is closed for the time being for everyone’s safety
- Our toilet is also still closed for the time being
- Face masks are mandatory in the shop for staff and customers
Griselda Hill Pottery, Kirkbrae, Ceres (near Cupar), Fife, Scotland KY15 5ND