Hot out the Kiln
The Pottery Process
1. The pottery is cast in plaster moulds using slip or liquid clay which solidifies inside the mould to form a solid hollow shape.
2. The more complicated shapes are made up of several moulds, and the pieces are joined with liquid clay.
3. The pottery is hand decorated by one of a band of highly trained painters. Depending on the complexity of the painting and the size of the piece it can take up to one and a half days to complete.
4. The pieces are then returned to the pottery where they are re-fired to harden on the paint and then dipped in glaze.
5. The final step is to give the pieces their final firing.